Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Contentment

Hey yall. This blog post is gonna get deep, so you may wanna go get your waders. About an hour ago I posted my status on facebook that I need to learn to be content. I've had a rough evening. Not for any external reasons, but I'm struggling right now. Where I am in life today is not where I envisioned I would be and it is not necessarily where I want to be. Of course if you know me at all you know I change my mind constantly, so not being where I want to be is not an uncommon thing. It got me to thinking about how I could learn to be more content, and I thought back to something I learned several years ago. I went with my friend Jessica W to Ruston to a ladies' conference. My favorite author, Elizabeth George, was speaking there. It was a wonderful experience--I even got to meet Elizabeth and she signed my copy of "A Woman After God's Own Heart." I remember very clearly what she told us that day. She said we often think, daydream, and wish about how we thought life would be and how we wish it would be. We as women often complain, "This is not how it's supposed to be!" in response to many situations. This kind of thinking is self defeating and does no good! She told us that the verse she looks to constantly is Philippians 4:8 - "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." In other words, we shouldn't be grumpy with our situation and whine that this is not how it should be. We should only think on those things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable. Only one thing constantly fits that description--our God. He knows where I am. He knows what I think I want. More importantly, He knows what I need and can do whatever it takes to fulfill HIS plan, not mine. I'm gonna let Him be in charge now and put me where I need to be. And I'm gonna be content about it.

No comments: